Normal body temperature, normothermia or euthermia; is a range of temperature rather than a fixed number. That Range represents the temperature that could be measure form the body under normal conditions.
Body temperature is a range rather than a fixed number; the normal body temperature mperatures cycles regularly up and down through the day. The reasons for that is that our body metabolism cycles too all over the day. The lowest temperature could be recorded 2-3 hours before wake up while the highest is usually recorded during afternoon.
Normal Ranges rather one range; There are many recorded ranges that are physiologically considered normal. The reason for presence of many ranges is that; We have numerous methods of assessment of body temperature. And Each of these methods give specific range of temperature. For example
- Oral Temperature; [36.5-37.5 °C] or [98.6±0.9 °F]
- Temperature in the armpit; [35.5-36.5 °C] or [96–99 °F]
- Rectal Temperature; [34.4–37.8°C] or [94–100 °F]
- Ear Temperature; [35.4–37.8 °C] or [96–100 °F]
N.B.... The ranges differs accordingly to the difference in the level of certain hormones. For example, The woman temperature during the day of ovulation increases by at least 0.5 °C because of the action of a hormone called progesterone. In The Past before the invention of ultrasonography; Gynacologist found the day of ovulation by measuring the temperature of the woman all over her period and the day of maximum temperature is the day of ovulation.
Abnormal body Temperature; There are many forms of abnormal body temperature.
- Fever; The body temperature raise above the accepted normal range. The Body itself starts to generate more energy elevating its temperature. The happens in case of infections, blood malignancies "leukemia, lymphomas" or autoimmune disease like systemic lupus...etc. Usually that form are associated with sweating and shills.
- Hyperthermia; The body temperature raise above the accepted normal range but the source of the increased temperature is other than the body itself. The body absorb heat from surrounding environment. The most famous example for that is sun stroke. usually this form are associated with dry skin.
- Hypothermia; The body temperature drops below the accepted normal range. The reasons for that is either drop in the body metabolism leading to lesser generation of energy e.g. shock [like excess bleeding] or due to extensive loss of temperature to the surrounding environment e.g exposure to very cold weather.
- The body temperature is a range rather than a fixed number.
- We have different ranges of temperature as we have different methods of measurement.
- Any changes of body temperature beyond these normal ranges is considered serious medical condition and require rapid emergent consultation from a physician.