Pulse is that weird sensation that we feel when we palpate the skin overlaying an artery.
- Radial Artery; That is the commonest site to feel the pulse. [Picture 01]
- Brachial Artery; we can just feel the pulse just beside the tendon of biceps from the inner side. [Picture 02]
- Posterior Tabial Artery; we just feel the pulse behind that bony medial prominence of the ankle joint. [Picture 03]
- Dorsalis pedis Artery; we can feel the pulse just on the upper surface of the foot between the tendons of the big toe and second toe. [Picture 04]
- Carotid Artery; We can feel it's pulse just below the angle of the mandible. [Picture 05]
- Other site e.g. Axillary pulse, Femoral pulse, Peploteal Pulse.
Pulse originate from the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Systolic blood pressure is the pressure of the blood circulating within the vessels during the heart contraction while diastolic during heart relaxation.
- Can be used to asses of systolic blood pressure.
- Big pulse volume or exaggerated pulse is found in hyperdynamic state e.g. anemia or pregnancy.
- small pulse volume found in case of dehydration.
- Sometime pulse show specific character that is common with certain diseases e.g. Pulsus alternans with heart failure.
- Pulse is considered on of the vital signs that asses general condition of any human being.
- Special care of pulse assessment is very important.